Saturday, March 7, 2015

Cancer

My grandma and I had been so close. We played tea party as she ooohed and awwed about how tall I was getting. I wasn't so educated about cancer. I was only seven. I thought that cancer was some kind of virus, like a common cold or a tummy ache. Everyday, I could feel her fighting it. I could feel her trying to hang on the best that she could. I saw the cancer start to eat her. Start to take slow, painful bites as I watched her get weaker. 
That night, I got off the phone with my dad as I heard the horrible news. He was staying at my grandma's house to help clear things up a bit. I came downstairs and started to cry. I started to realize what had been happening all those years. How the cancer was taking away each memory, until they were all gone. I can still feel her around me though. Even as I write this piece, I can see her, oowwing and awwing about how tall i'm getting.


12 comments:

  1. Your grandma will love reading this sweet memory, Amelia. It's so hard to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost both of my grandfathers at the age of 12, within four months of each other, so I can relate to this deep sense of loss you wrote about.
    My heart aches for you, Amelia. I know what it's like to lose a grandparent when you're not prepared for them to leave your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Powerful slice. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your slice of life. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry that that happened. But if it's any condolence, you're slice is really nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a great slice, really touching. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed your slice. I am so sorry about your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a really good slice. I am sorry about your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was great...I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how you feel, my grandfather passed away from cancer two years ago. I am so sorry for your loss, this was a fantastic slice. :')

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry Amelia. This was a really good slice :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Death is not easy. Some of us know it all too well. I am so happy that you shared this with us, Amelia. Sometimes writing and sharing helps the grieving process.

    ReplyDelete